Saturday, March 25, 2006

Visiting the Love Boat at Punggol Marina

Omar never once believe in surprises. If he gives me something as a gift, it has never been gift-wrapped. True enough, he will never give me anything on my birthday or my anniversary, if he thinks I deserve something, he will give it anytime he likes, on no occasions, it was hard for me at first, but I am ok with it now. To him, occasional dates have no significance, he even tends to forget his own birthday at times, so I think it's fair.

What is the relation with this blog topic? Yep, this morning he gave Aaqil and myself another of his pre-planned surprises. We left early morning to head down to Punggol Marina Country Club where a client turned friend of his was waiting for us with his wife and boat, both as lovely. John, from America, Nina and their yatch, there must be a name for their lovely yatch. That was the first time I went into a yatch in Singapore after Boston. The marina is smaller than Boston Harbour though, but nice serene view surrounding it.

The weather was not so friendly as it was really hot at 8.30 am when we arrived there. Nina, John's wife is a Philipino who sailed with him for nearly 13 years. Well, I really have high respects for a woman like her. They never had a home on land and their boat is their home. That means she has to give up a lot of woman thingy like shopping. But shopping is nothing as compared to the travels all over the world they've got and the total freedom they earned on the yatch.


Aaqil was uncomfortable at first with the new environment in the boat or maybe John looked a little alien for his eyes. He was cranky and clingy. I was unfortunate too as I already felt sea-sick although that boat was not moving. The water was calm according to John but I still felt giddy and sweat all over. So we both decided to hang out on the deck while John and Omar were inside the cabin discussing about computer issues.






John and Omar later joined us on the deck and we chatted for quite a while. I was curious on how they live their lives. At first I just couldn't figure out how will this couple survive without land, I mean without a proper home built on stilts or concretes, what about their social lives and the questions went on. But upon listening to John and Nina, I believe the word 'proper home' is not something where everyone agrees to. To them, their yatch is their 'proper home', they lived their married life in it and they are both not only happy but have long ago accepted that this is their life. A kind of life where you will be held responsible over what you are going to do and you got no one to point your finger to.

I left with a lot of input in my mind. For those who think people with yatch are leading an expensive lifestyle or you must be expensive to be one, once again WRONG, please think again. On our way back, Omar asked me what would be the things that I would dream to do in life that others will find abnormal? I am still pondering about it but one thing for sure I hope we will start our true life journey soon... God Willing...

1 comment:

yus said...

Bestnya! The last time i've been on a yatch was..hmm yupp Boston Harbour 9 yrs ago with Mazlan. Don't think i can live on a yatch like them..hahah..i need "land"