Monday, December 05, 2005

I believe in good and evil spirits indeed. Sometimes I ask myself why some Malays close their doors ONLY at dusk (Maghrib) so that the evil spirits will not enter the house? Closing the doors will not prevent the evil from penetrating the house. Then I squeeze my tiny wheeny brain.... trying to find the logic behind it. Maghrib is the shortest prayer time and everybody should be in the house in order to fulfill our responsibility as a Muslim. But why our elderlies created those reasons? Well.. today my topic is not really about the spirits, genie(s) or satans...

The 'good spirits' at the beach, having serious fun with one another...

Last Wednesday my beloved son was hit with vomitting. I consider myself as fortunate because Aaqil hardly gets sick. Normally if he has a slight fever, I will just have to breastfeed him and monitor his temperature. But that fateful day, being alone and helpless, I finally decided to bring him to Children Emergency Dept at KK hospital after a series of vomitting. The queue was long and after some drama, I managed to cut the queue. After being checked by the pediatrician, Aaqil was put on observation for 3 hours and finally his vomitting stopped. It did not end there because after his medication he was hit by diarrhea at home. The next day I was hit by food poisoning after my FIL brought over some mutton beriyani. The smell of indigested beriyani is still haunting me. I guess I will not have beriyani for the next 5 years. My vomitting was so traumatic that I will have to say it was similar to my labor pain.

I believe anybody in my sick position with a sick child will need moral support. Unfortunately, some would choose to criticize rather than giving support. I am sorry to say that in my case they were all known to be women. Instead of helping me or give me some constructive advises, they blamed on our beach trip last weekend as a reason of Aaqil got the vomitting. Our outing was on Sunday and Aaqil was hit on Wednesday. So how could that be? And the best part, some believe there are bad spirits along the beach. Yes I do believe in the existence of spirits. It is everywhere, not just beaches.


Aaqil showing off his underwater skills...

Aaqil will definately get sick sometimes as he grows, I'm thankful to God for giving me the knowledge and strength to go through his entire sick period, but why 'all these women' think baby cannot get sick huh?? My very close relative even asked me to stop breastfeeding when she saw me bringing Aaqil to the toilet every half an hour. What a pity to be ignorant? Didn't they know that breastmilk will shorten the diarrhea? Diarrhea can last up to 7 days but in my case this time, Aaqil's diarrhea stopped after 2 days with my countinuous breastfeeding, thank GOD!

Notice his happy face in the sea? I really hope, actually I knew I am doing the right things. I don't want him to grow up being afraid of the things made up by our old folks. By making him enjoying outdoors, God willing, he will grow up to be independent and appreciates the beautiful GOD-created nature. GOD-created 'nature' which includes forests, mountains, rivers, beaches with sea water, the peaceful and dark nights etc... but all these places/times are often related by people as 'dirty', full with roaming spirits... I wonder why... These roaming spirits are afraid of residential estates that you feel so safe at home??

To all my friends, GOD has created wonderful things on earth and whatever beyond our knowledge, and you want me to fear his creations? Yes, at times I do fear the unseen, ghost etc etc, but my religion teaches me to fear nothing but GOD, and that is what I have to fight for. You believe in HIM, seek protection from HIM, and HE will protect you. But if you believe that the spirits and ghost and etc etc is more powerful than our CREATOR?... you must be joking......!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

weh.. was i spooked.. hehehe very true la Minah.. but so many times we tend 2 4get that fact & let ourselves believe the nonsense.. at least i do.. coz me wanna watch that Ponti Harum Sundal Mlm 2.. ;)

Anonymous said...

fully understand ur frustration.1 ear in other ear out lah lol!good to see u all had so much fun at e beach :)